Thursday, October 4, 2012

Iced and Spiced Applesauce Cookies

We have finally finished off the last of the applesauce!  We made these cookies the other day and I have one last batch of fruit roll ups cooking now.  I have to see that I was a little sad to see it go, but it was certainly time and there will be more deals around the corner.

Before I post the recipe for these cookies, I need to tell you about another bit of VERY useful information I found as I prepared this recipe.  I can't believe that I didn't already know this and you probably already do, but just in case, I will share it here.  Did you know that you can soften up hardened brown sugar by putting it in the microwave for one minute with a little bowl of water next to it?  It's true!!  Mine was not quite soft enough to break apart after one minute but another 15-30 seconds did the trick.  Just be careful because if you heat it too long it's going to be hot when you touch it.

Anyway, these cookies are YUMMY!  My daughter loved them and quickly decided they should be called "Daddy Cookies."  Good thing Daddy loved them too!



I found the recipe at The Spiffy Cookie, followed it, and will post it here!

Cookies
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup shortening
3 teaspoons water
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup applesauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves; set aside.
In a stand mixer (or medium bowl), cream together the shortening, water, and brown sugar.
Add egg, and then applesauce to the mixture; beat until creamy.  (mine was more goopy but it worked!)
Mix in dry ingredients.
Drop on cookie sheet by round tablespoonfuls; flatten slightly.
Bake for 15 minutes and cool on rack.

Icing
Ingredients:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

In a small bowl combine confectioners' sugar, milk, and cinnamon.
Add milk as needed to achieve drizzling consistency (a little goes a long way!!).
Drizzle over cooled cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...