Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Shredded BBQ Chicken in the Crock Pot


I typically use my crock pot more in the fall and winter than in the spring or summer but honestly, on a beautiful day, who wants to be inside cooking when they could be outside playing?  Yesterday I threw together a super easy crock pot dinner definitely suitable for warmer weather.  I got my inspiration here but was a little lazy and didn't add the extras... it still turned out delicious!

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 - 2 pounds frozen boneless chicken breasts (If yours are thawed, just decrease the cooking time, similar to the original recipe found here.  I used 1.8 pounds frozen.)
  • 1 bottle barbecue sauce (I used 18 oz Bull's-Eye Original)
  • 1 onion sliced
  • salt 
  • pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chicken/turkey broth (I used two frozen cubes, see below)
  • 2 tablespoons corn starch

Directions:
  • Place sliced onions in bottom of crock pot
  • Place frozen chicken on top
  • Sprinkle with salt and pepper
  • Cover with barbecue sauce
  • Cook on low for 7-8 hours (chicken should cook to 170 degrees)
  • Remove chicken from crock pot
  • Mix 2 tbsp chicken broth with 2 tbsp corn starch until dissolved
  • Add to crock pot, stir, and heat on high for 10 minutes to thicken up the sauce
  • Shred chicken with fork, stir it back into crock pot and continue cooking on low for 45 minutes
  • We served ours on buns with coleslaw on top and potato salad on the side!

A couple of other things to note:  
  • There are lots of recipes out there for homemade barbecue sauces you could use for this but I went the easy route and just dumped in what we had.  I'm not sure it matters a whole lot but I can definitely tell you from experience that KC Masterpiece does NOT cook up well in a crock pot.  The Bull's-Eye tasted just fine.
  • I keep frozen cubes of turkey broth in the freezer and used two in this recipe.  The next time you cook up a chicken or turkey, boil the carcass and save the broth!  You can freeze it in ice cube trays and store the frozen cubes in a zip lock bag in your freezer.  This is a huge time and money saver!  I still have tons left over from our Thanksgiving turkey dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...