Ingredients for donuts:
- one can of biscuits (I used a small roll of 10 buttermilk biscuits 7.5 oz)
- about 1/2 cup oil (enough to cover half of the donuts while frying in a pan... add more if you need to)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- sprinkles, cinnamon sugar, or whatever you are in the mood for!
- Cut circles in the centers of the biscuits (I used the cap from a soda bottle)
- Put oil in frying pan (enough to cover half of the donut pieces)
- Heat oil over medium heat
- Place donuts and donut holes in pan and let sit until golden brown on the bottom (just a couple of minutes. Turn over the brown the other side. Pay attention because these will get brown quickly!
- Remove from pan to a plate covered with a paper towel (to drain the oil)
- Dip in icing and decorate, or sprinkle with cinnamon sugar
You can find the original recipe here.
If you don't have oil, you can do a version with butter, baking in the oven (recipe here). I liked these but like I said before, they got too crunchy on the bottom for our liking. If this is all you have though and you need donuts pronto, they will work!
All of the ingredients for this recipe are things I already had on hand. I use these same ingredients in tons of recipes so try to always stay stocked up on them. If you don't keep these things on hand, you should!