Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup

Last week I decided to make a recipe that included cream of chicken soup but I quickly realized I had none in the house.  So began the task of figuring out how to make it from scratch... I asked friends, searched the internet, and ended up using this recipe I originally found on Pinterest.  It turned out great!  And given that I had all the ingredients I needed, it was cheaper (and probably healthier) than store bought canned soup... and so easy!  I'm sure many of you are making recipes this week that call for cream-of-whatever so definitely give this a try!  I'll be using this in my Green Bean Casserole.

Here's what I did.  It varies slightly, but for the most part follows the original recipe here.  The original recipe also includes ideas for making cream-of-all-the-other-things...


Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 small pack chicken stock (I used Knorr Homestyle Stock - one pack from a four pack.  The packs say they make 3 1/2 cups of broth so you could probably use less than one, or a half chicken broth, half milk mixture)
  • OR in place of the store bought stock, use your own (see recipe here) or simply make up some broth with bouillon and water
  • You want 1 cup of liquid.  I do 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 cup homemade stock
Hint from original recipe: Use equal amounts of butter and flour and eight times as much liquid.

Directions:
  • Melt butter in a pot
  • Add flour and stir until smooth (about one minute)
  • Add chicken stock
  • Add milk, a little at a time, and whisk over heat until smooth and thickened (the longer you cook, the thicker it will be)
I may never go back to canned cream soups again!

1 comment:

  1. An amazing testimony on on how i conceive, also cure from fibroid, i wonder why people still don't believe that roots and herbs are very essential and fruitful in different aspect, especially when you can't conceive and bear children. I am a living witness because I tried all I could to be pregnant but all to no avail, on this faithful day, i decided to check the net for updates on healthy living and i came across testimonies of lot of women who Priest Babaka has helped with his native herbs to conceive. i decided to put a try because this has been my greatest problem in life so I emailed Priest Babaka, and he told me what to do which i did, after which he sent me some roots and herbs syrup and gave me step by step guild lines on how and when to have sex with my man. I missed my menstrual flow within a short period of taking it, and the doctor confirmed that I am pregnant. I am very glad to tell the world that I just put to bed a bouncing baby boy last week. Contact Priest Babaka for your own testimony via Email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com Or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...