Thursday, March 21, 2013

Homemade Biscuits - no yeast needed!

I had never made homemade biscuits before this week but when my sister in law shared this recipe with me I figured I should give it a try!  I think I've always been intimidated by making bread or biscuit type things from scratch because of the need use yeast (not sure why this intimidates me?!) or be organized enough to make it in advance and let it sit and rise, etc, etc etc.  Anyway, this recipe looked super easy... almost too easy... but I wanted one last thing to go with our dinner last weekend and had no canned biscuits in the fridge so I figured it was time.  SUCCESS!  I had all the ingredients on hand (you probably do too) and these took me less than a half hour, start to finish.  They were just as tasty (if not tastier) and definitely cheaper than going to the store to get canned biscuits.  Give them a try and let me know what you think!


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 2/3 cup milk

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 475
  • In a mixing bowl combine sifted flour, baking powder, and salt.
  • In a liquid measure place 1/3 cup oil and 2/3 cup milk together (do not mix, just pour them in).
  • Pour the liquids into the flour mixture.
  • Stir until dough forms and pulls from sides of bowl. 
  • Turn out onto wax paper and knead ten times (do not use extra flour and do not over-knead). 
  • Place second sheet of wax paper on top and roll out to 1/4-1/2 inch thickness (or simply flatten by hand)
  • Cut with round cookie cutter, biscuit cutter, lid of a mason jar, or top of a glass (You can also form these yourself by skipping the rolling and cutting.  Just pull off bits and form into biscuits). 
  • Bake about 10-12 minutes (10 is perfect for me).
  • Depending on how thick you make them, you can make about 6-9 biscuits. 

You can visit my sister in law's blog here.  She hasn't blogged this recipe yet but she should!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! Blogging this is definitely on my to-do list...just not quite at the top! I am so glad you guys liked grandma's biscuits...ooohhhh, you might like her pie crust too...I'll have to dig that one up and blog it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not bad. They r good. A little heavy but all in all pretty good. The part I like is that they have that flaky touch to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amber! I'm glad you tried the biscuits! I agree that they are a little heavy - they aren't the flaky layered kind you get in the refrigerated cans. But I'm glad you thought they were pretty good. We like them a lot. Our favorite part is that we always have what we need to throw them together at a moment's notice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great we used all purpose flour instead of flour salt and baking powder ad it still worked just fine

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your biscuits are too dense, add a little room temperature butter! Mine aren't that dense and I added about half of a tablespoon of the butter. It'll melt in the oven and leave some air pockets in the biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An amazing testimony on on how i conceive, also cure from fibroid, i wonder why people still don't believe that roots and herbs are very essential and fruitful in different aspect, especially when you can't conceive and bear children. I am a living witness because I tried all I could to be pregnant but all to no avail, on this faithful day, i decided to check the net for updates on healthy living and i came across testimonies of lot of women who Priest Babaka has helped with his native herbs to conceive. i decided to put a try because this has been my greatest problem in life so I emailed Priest Babaka, and he told me what to do which i did, after which he sent me some roots and herbs syrup and gave me step by step guild lines on how and when to have sex with my man. I missed my menstrual flow within a short period of taking it, and the doctor confirmed that I am pregnant. I am very glad to tell the world that I just put to bed a bouncing baby boy last week. Contact Priest Babaka for your own testimony via Email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com Or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...