Many years ago, my great aunt introduced us to Ice Cream Sandwich cake and I'm sorry to say that I have not made it nearly enough times since then! Yesterday morning, both my husband and I had a random craving for this perfectly delicious frozen dessert, so off to the store I went.
I don't really know what else to say about this amazingness except that it is amazing. It is the absolute perfect summer treat and it really is so easy. The only thing that could make it easier would be if ice cream sandwiches came without wrappers but it's totally worth the unwrapping.
- 24 ice cream sandwiches
- cool whip (An 8 oz tub is fine. I used more because I had it, but whatever you prefer is fine!)
- chocolate syrup
- crushed chocolate sandwich cookies or chocolate chips or any cruchy-ish treat you love
- Unwrap ice cream sandwiches and use half to line bottom of 9x12 pan (you might need to squish or break the last one in half)
- Spread a layer of cool whip over top
- Squirt some chocolate syrup on top
- Cover with crushed oreos or whatever crunchy-ish treat you decide on
- Add another layer of ice cream sandwiches
- Add another layer of cool whip
- Add another layer of crunchy topping
- Lick your fingers
You'll want to serve this cold and store in the freezer.
This recipe is totally fool proof and you can totally switch it up with flavors and layers you love. You could add another layer of chocolate syrup if you prefer. I noticed at the store yesterday that there are a few new fancy ice cream sandwich options like mint and cookies and cream... either of these would be incredible in this recipe! I'm also thinking of adding something like M&M's or Reese's Pieces next time... mmmmmmmmmm.