Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix


This sign was hanging in my kitchen yesterday from my daughter as a reminder that it was Taco Tuesday! We love tacos in our house. It's one meal everyone will eat and it's super fast and easy, so it has made its way into a weekly rotation and earned itself a dedicated day!


I've been making my own taco seasoning mix for quite a while. I started one day when I went to grab a packet of store bought seasoning and realized we were all out. I found a recipe online and have tweaked it to our liking over time. We try to limit salt intake when we can and I love that I can do this with my homemade taco seasoning - there's no salt at all! I feel better about serving this to my family,  and honestly, it tastes better. I've tried to use packaged mix once since using this recipe and I didn't enjoy it! Taco mix isn't expensive but I'm all about saving even a dime and I'm doing that by making this at home.

So this homemade taco seasoning mix fits the categories of healthier, yummier, and cheaper. Actually, it fits the category of funner too because little kids love to help with cooking and this recipe provides lots of opportunity for measuring, mixing, and sniffing. Win, win, win, win!

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
  • Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl
  • Sprinkle over 1 to 1 1/2 pounds cooked ground beef (already drained of fat)
  • Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup water
  • Simmer 5 to 10 minutes until beef is coated and heated through
  • Serve on your tacos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...