In honor of Father's Day, I figured it was about time I posted the recipe for my husband's very favorite dinner, Chipped Beef & Gravy! I make this meal on his birthday each December but this year decided to surprise him on Father's Day as well. I think this might be a new tradition!
I had never eaten or heard of Chipped Beef & Gravy before meeting my husband, but when northern girls marry southern boys, there is much to be learned! Thankfully, he tells me this tastes just like it did when his grandmother used to make it, so I consider the recipe a success.
- 5 oz dried beef (In our stores, it's sold in a glass jar near the tuna)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 3 cups milk
- salt & pepper to taste (I don't typically add salt because the beef is quite salty already)
- Cut beef into strips with scissors
- Melt butter in saucepan
- Slowly add flour, stirring constantly until blended
- Whisk in milk
- Stir over medium heat until gravy begins to bubble and thickens (5-10 minutes)
- Stir in beef
- Season to taste
We typically serve our Chipped Beef & Gravy with homemade biscuits, but you could also serve it over toast. And we always add a side of french style green beans (because that's another of his favorites!).
Hope you enjoy this easy and delicious meal as much as we do!