Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Kool-Aid Paints (and a Kool-Aid Color Cheat Sheet!)


Kool-Aid Paints

Last year I got a LOT of Kool-Aid for free.  A real lot... It was a deal I couldn't pass up so I kind of went overboard!


So, obviously I've spent some time looking for ideas of what to do with all of the Kool-Aid.  I think I've only make it to drink once since then!  I think it's way more fun to use for crafty things instead!  (Here's a post on Kool-Aid playdough).  

I've been wanting to do some painting with my daughter lately but paint is not something I regularly have in the house.  Given that it seems like something I should be able to make with things on hand rather than paying money for it, I thought about what I had in my house and started searching the internet for ideas.  I came across a super easy recipe and quickly realized I had waited way too long to make this!
  

This was SO easy and obviously made with stuff I had on hand.  Even if you don't have Kool-Aid, I guarantee you can pick up a few packets for cheaper than what you'd pay for real paint.  And honestly, the scent of this stuff was AMAZING and actually a little therapeutic I think.  If I could somehow blog a smell, I totally would.  These were so yummy smelling.  I will even admit that I tasted a little bit... trust me, it doesn't taste as good as it smells... 

Ingredients:
1 packet of Kool-Aid per color
1/2 teaspoon of water per color

Directions:
Mix Kool-Aid and water
Paint with a paintbrush or cotton swabs

Could it get any easier?  

A couple of notes:

Kool-Aid does stain so we worked on a plastic tray and put newspapers down to dry our paintings.  It really isn't messy paint and you only have a little of each color at a time so there was no mess involved here with the exception of Kool-Aid stained hands which washed off in the bathtub.


Kool-Aid colors can be a little bit deceiving.  Grape looks like black, tropical punch is a red despite the blue packaging, and pink lemonade really makes a nice pink color.  Here are some others...

lemonade
lemon-lime

orange
strawberry

ice blue raspberry
black cherry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...