Here's what I did. It varies slightly, but for the most part follows the original recipe here. The original recipe also includes ideas for making cream-of-all-the-other-things...
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 small pack chicken stock (I used Knorr Homestyle Stock - one pack from a four pack. The packs say they make 3 1/2 cups of broth so you could probably use less than one, or a half chicken broth, half milk mixture)
- OR in place of the store bought stock, use your own (see recipe here) or simply make up some broth with bouillon and water
- You want 1 cup of liquid. I do 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 cup homemade stock
- Melt butter in a pot
- Add flour and stir until smooth (about one minute)
- Add chicken stock
- Add milk, a little at a time, and whisk over heat until smooth and thickened (the longer you cook, the thicker it will be)
I may never go back to canned cream soups again!