So far I've made apple crisp, apple pie, and this delicious apple cake that I've been eating for breakfast all week. I love from-scratch recipes that feel just as easy as box mixes. You will love this cake. And for some reason, it passes for a breakfast food… at least in our house it does! A mug of hot coffee and a big piece of Apple Cake. Trust me.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups peeled, chopped tart apples (probably 3 apples, depending on size)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease and lightly flour bottom and sides of 13 x 9 cake pan
- Beat sugar, oil, and eggs with electric mixer on low speed until blended, about 30 seconds
- Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla, and salt and beat on low speed for one minute
- Stir in apples
- Pour into pan
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
Once cool, I drizzle the top with a simple powdered sugar glaze… just some powdered sugar, a tiny bit of milk and a tiny drop of vanilla. If only I measured these things! The more sugar you use, the more glaze you'll get. I probably use about a half cup to a cup. If it's too runny, add more sugar, if it's too thick, add another tiny drop of milk. Whisk and drizzle!
I store our cake in the fridge and heat a piece for about 30 seconds in the microwave before serving.
Hooray for fall!
Adapted from Betty Crocker's recipe for Carrot Cake.