Sunday, September 28, 2014

Apple Breakfast Cake

Not many things excite me more than fall recipes. Apples, pumpkins, cinnamon… you know what I'm talking about. There is something very special about the season change between summer and fall... the first cool morning, the first fire in the fireplace, the first leaves changing on the trees, the spicy scented candles, and the family trip to the apple orchard. My appreciation for fall has increased throughout my adult years and I just can't get enough of it!


We came home with a 20 pound bag of apples from our favorite orchard a couple of weekends ago. Sticking my head into the bag and taking a big sniff of apple-y heaven has been one of my favorite activities since then! The scent of the fresh apples, that indescribable combination of sweet and tart… it's therapeutic to say the least. Of course the scent of apple recipes baking is just as powerful.

So far I've made apple crisp, apple pie, and this delicious apple cake that I've been eating for breakfast all week. I love from-scratch recipes that feel just as easy as box mixes. You will love this cake. And for some reason, it passes for a breakfast food… at least in our house it does! A mug of hot coffee and a big piece of Apple Cake. Trust me.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups peeled, chopped tart apples (probably 3 apples, depending on size)

Directions:
  • Heat oven to 350 degrees
  • Grease and lightly flour bottom and sides of 13 x 9 cake pan
  • Beat sugar, oil, and eggs with electric mixer on low speed until blended, about 30 seconds
  • Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla, and salt and beat on low speed for one minute
  • Stir in apples
  • Pour into pan
  • Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean

Glaze:
Once cool, I drizzle the top with a simple powdered sugar glaze… just some powdered sugar, a tiny bit of milk and a tiny drop of vanilla. If only I measured these things! The more sugar you use, the more glaze you'll get. I probably use about a half cup to a cup. If it's too runny, add more sugar, if it's too thick, add another tiny drop of milk. Whisk and drizzle!

I store our cake in the fridge and heat a piece for about 30 seconds in the microwave before serving.


Hooray for fall!

Adapted from Betty Crocker's recipe for Carrot Cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...