Friday, October 26, 2012

Apple Muffins

I was on a mission yesterday to find a new recipe for another breakfast treat with apples.  My inspiration?  I asked my husband what he would like me to bake.  His response was that I have worked hard and should rest.  My response, knowing that it sometimes feels like rest to bake for my family was that I was baking so he should submit a request... and he did.  Something for breakfast and something with apples.  Most days, baking or cooking up something special for my family is relaxing (not always, but mostly) and rewarding.  It's one of the ways I feel connected to them, one of the ways that I feel I take care of them, and that feels good!  It's one of the ways I take time for today.


So anyway, I found this recipe for Apple Spice Muffins.   These were easy to make and delicious!  I did not find them to have that fall "spice" to them that I was hoping for so I will probably switch some things up next time.  But I will post the recipe below as I followed it this time.

Ingredients for muffins:
  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar (plus a pinch)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (plus a pinch)
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground all spice (I used more like 1/4 teaspoon since I already had a feeling these wouldn't be spicy enough)
  • 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups apples (peeled, diced)
Ingredients for topping:
  • 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Line muffin pan with paper cups.
  • Toss apples with a pinch of cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
  • In a large mixing bowl sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and all spice.
  • Make a well in the flour mixture and add eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla and mix well.
  • Fold in apples.
  • Pour mix into muffin pan, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
  • Stir together butter, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of muffins.
  • Bake for 23-27 minutes until tops are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (I took mine out after 25 minutes).





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...