Monday, October 1, 2012

Spinach Applesauce Cupcakes

We've been trying to find some new healthy, yummy snack and meal ideas for our two year old and in my search I came across a recipe on weelicious for Spinach Muffins.  I was a little bit skeptical but after I saw that the recipe called for applesauce I knew it was for us!  The reviews said these little muffins would come out sweet and I was shocked to find that they really did.  We call them cupcakes here because they really taste like cake.  Our daughter ate some yesterday afternoon, dipping them in cool whip.  Hooray for healthy treats!  Even if you don't like spinach, please give these a try... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!  These are a great treat for kids or grownups.  I followed the recipe with the exception of using frozen spinach instead of fresh spinach.  The original recipe said this was a no-no but I had frozen in the house and was anxious to try these without having to go to the store first.  They came out just fine!  I will write out the recipe here the way I did it but you can visit weelicious for the original!


Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 box frozen spinach, cooked in microwave and drained
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt






- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Puree the first 6 ingredients together (I used a blender but if you have a food processor that's even better)
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl
- Pour the spinach puree in a large mixing bowl
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients
- Scoop batter into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup 2/3 of the way
- Bake for 12 minutes

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...